The other weekend, our family was invited to a gumbo party. Sunday football, kids in the backyard, gumbo on the stove – truly a fantastic afternoon. Whenever I am invited to a party, I obviously want to thank my hosts by bringing a tasty treat to share with the group but, honestly, I also want to bring something gluten-free so that I know that there is at least one food item my girls and I will be able to eat.
What could be more perfect at a gumbo party than cornbread? And, of course, cornbread made with bacon is hard to resist. This cornbread is super easy to make and absolutely delicious. I removed most of the seeds from the jalapenos so it was kid-friendly and not too spicy. You can cook this cornbread in an 8×8 square pan but I prefer to make my cornbread in mini muffin tins or in my cast iron cornbread pan. Adding a little bit of coarse sea salt and additional shredded cheese on top of the batter before you pop the muffins into the oven is an essential step! Don’t skip it!
- 3 slices bacon , chopped
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 2 jalapenos , seeds removed, chopped
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 - 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used organic canola)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese plus more for sprinkling on top
- Over medium heat, cook the bacon, onions, and jalapenos. After the bacon is well cooked, remove everything to a paper towel to absorb the excess bacon grease.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and honey.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Add the bacon, onion, and jalapeno and the shredded cheddar cheese. Mix until ingredients are combined.
- Spray two mini muffin tins. Fill mini muffin tins about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with additional shredded cheddar cheese and coarse sea salt. Cook at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.