Necessity is the mother of invention! With about 5 minutes to go before my friends arrived for the big game on Sunday, I had lots and lots of protein – wings and kabobs and chili – but no veggies other than carrot and celery sticks! Oops. Quickly, I scanned the veggie crisper, saw 1/2 a cabbage and a couple of carrots and immediately thought, Creamy Cole Slaw.
Not wanting to chop cabbage and grate carrots (and, really, I didn’t have enough time!), I grabbed my food processor. This creamy cole slaw came together in about five minutes. No lies. I chopped about 1/3 of the cabbage (about 1 pound) into large chunks and tossed it into the food processor. As the cabbage became mostly chopped, I removed it to a large bowl and added in a couple chunks of red onion and the two carrots cut in half.
After chopping (ahem, food processing!) everything, I combined the cabbage, carrots, and red onion in a bowl, added salt, red wine vinegar, and mayo. Yup. That’s it. Done. It was DELICIOUS!! It was the perfect tangy accompaniment to all our party foods. Make this. It might become your new favorite cole slaw!
- 1/4 of a large cabbage or half a small cabbage , cut into large chunks (about 1 lb)
- 2 carrots
- 1/4 of a large red onion (about 1/4 cup)
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt , to taste
- Chop cabbage, carrots, and red onion in a food processor. You might need to do this in a couple of batches.
- Combine chopped veggies in a large bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, and salt. Stir to combine. Enjoy!